Monday, January 11, 2010

Washington Heights, St. Nicholas Avenue at 187th Street


Mary Sargent © 2009 ………………….…………… ………………….. click to enlarge

This is across the street from the Grullon Bakery.  I just had to do a close up of the pretty little church.




Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………….. click to enlarge

It is Saints Anargyroi Greek Orthodox Church.  I couldn't find anything about the church itself, so I investigated the saints.  There were two of them, twins, it seems.  They lived long, long ago, but somehow got themselves on Facebook.  This is one of your minor miracles, I guess.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Savvy saints indeed. Thanks for the chuckle.

Anonymous said...

This was my neighborhood church when I was growing up. My dad owned the luncheonette just to the right of the church in this picture. He was the cantor. The original church was less than half the size of this one. The community bought the adjoining property and built the building you see here. construction began in the mid-1960's. There were many problems during construction, it took years, and there was a change in architects & contractors. That's why the top of the bell tower is different from the rest of the structure.

The saints the church was named after were brothers. They were doctors who treated the poor for free. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Cosmas_and_Damian for more details.

Mary Sargent said...

Thank you, Anonymous! I love to hear from people with a connection and with information, too.