Friday, January 15, 2010

Washington Heights, 184th Street at St. Nicholas Avenuea


Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………….. click to enlarge

This is my kind of photograph.  I admit I get into the documentary aspect of this blog, showing what's there, whatever it is, because you do need to know, but when I get to a photograph like this, my whole body responds, my skin starts glowing and if you listen carefully, you can hear a little buzzing hum coming from inside me.  Why?

(Please enlarge.)  The laundromat sign, white and at an angle to the yellow canopy.  The red, yellow and blue forms (primary colors) against the sandy wall.  The little shapes below and the big shapes above.  The small glowing orange, green and purple colors below (secondary colors).  The scrawled bio text at the top of the wall, so necessary, and if you don't believe me, try blocking it out.  See?  There. 

I knew you'd understand. 




2 comments:

Barbara said...

I think the buzz is coming from the photo. It zaps and crackles!

Anonymous said...

Wish I like the composition of the photo better though...its so very distracting with that red box in front, the person in brown walking and the car parked in front... sigh... missed opportunity for a great shot. Also, I recommend you do some post processing on these.... the overall tone is too blue (laundromat letters), the wall is bleh and the sky has no drama... the overall everything needs to be exposed a bit more.