Saturday, November 07, 2009

Chelsea, Eleventh Avenue Between 24th and 23rd Streets

x
Last night we saw the block between 25th and 24th and we also saw a building from the next block. Here it is closer up.



Mary Sargent © 2009 ……………….. click to enlarge

This is a big deal condo going up and you can read all about it in Curbed. Look for the entries under 200 Eleventh Avenue. The most exciting feature is the sky garage, a car elevator that takes each owner directly to their apartment. Wow. This is good protection for people plagued by those pesky paparazzi.

You notice all this netting on construction sites? I thought maybe it was a new thing, but it turns out it's been required by city law since 1987. On my way to discovering that fact, I also discovered I would die at age 100. You know how when you start typing something in Google, it will offer suggestions? When I typed "when", the first word of my question, google suggested "when will I die". That's kind of hard to ignore. 



Mary Sargent © 2009 …………......……….…… ………………….. click to enlarge


But now, look at this tiny little building next to the fabulous new skyscraper.  When I saw this, I had the same reaction that I have to kittens or puppies, or the occasional baby:  an intake of breath and a little moan. 




Mary Sargent © 2009 ……….....………….…… ………………….. click to enlarge

In fact I was motivated to change my lens so I could get a close-up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you could afford to live in an apartment where your car could be parked outside your door on your own floor, why in hell would you live on 11th Avenue?

mary said...

To escape the paparazzi, but of course.

B.Lewin said...

The paparazzi know where 11th Avenue is! But you're right, maybe they don't want to go there.

If I had that much money, I sure as hell wouldn't live there. Hmm, where would I live? Central Park West, somewhere near the Metropolitan, I guess. With multiple wide terraces and lots of big windows. And a pony.