Monday, July 27, 2009

Turtle Bay, First Avenue at 43rd Street


Mary Sargent © 2009 …….. click to enlarge

This photograph of the Secretariat of the United Nations was taken at the end of 43rd Street overlooking First Avenue. Did 43rd Street always overlook First Avenue? I tried to find out, but couldn't. Hard to google it.

I'll have more to say about the United Nations when I walk First Avenue, but for now, just know that the buildings were completed in 1950, that the Secretariat was New York's first glass curtain building and that it was designed by Corbusier.


Mary Sargent © 2009 ……….. click to enlarge

Here's the entire building for all you completists out there.

P.S. Tonight I realized I'm in a new neighborhood: Turtle Bay. I'll have more on the neighborhood in the next day or two and I also have to go back and do some relabeling. Work, work, work!


See map.

No comments: