Saturday, May 30, 2009

Manhattanville, 126th Street Between Old Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2009 ……….. click to enlarge

Same block. South side. I love this building. That doesn't mean I want to live there.



Mary Sargent © 2009 ……… click to enlarge

North side. I would not have posted this photo if I hadn't found out it's an historic church. Because I don't like it as a photo is why. But I thought it over and decided I couldn't deny you the opportunity to improve your minds.

This is St. Mary's Episcopal Church, founded in 1823. It is Harlem's oldest church still in its original location. Its congregation included the widow and children of Alexander Hamilton, African-American abolitionists (yes, it was racially integrated), and Daniel Tiemann, Mayor of New York in 1858-59. There is a street named after Tiemann in Manhattanville which I haven't walked yet. It became New York's first "free pew" Episcopal Church in 1831. Before that you had to pay for your pew. I looked on the web for more information about this pew thing and look what I found: freepews.com. Yes, church pews, free for the taking. They won't ship them. Unfortunately for us New Yorkers, there are none in New York City just now. Maybe tomorrow. But if you want to go to Elmira Heights, NY, you can have your choice of or all of 10', 12' and 16' pews, complete with book racks. Uh oh, I seem to have worked myself into a fit of pew desire. Luckily, I can't do anything about it.

Back to serious matters. You should read this NY Times article from 1866. Note that you have to scroll down to catch the beginning.


See map.

No comments: