Sunday, April 26, 2009

Manhattanville, St. Nicholas Avenue at 125th Street


Mary Sargent © 2009 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Last Saturday when the weather was finally gorgeous and I was free to pick any street in Manhattan, I looked at my map and chose Convent Avenue in West Harlem. Convent Avenue is a partly curvy street that runs from 125th Street to 153rd, where it merges with St. Nicholas Avenue. It was named for a . . . convent, yes, the Convent of the Sacred Heart, which burned down in 1888. But enough history.

This is where I got off the subway at 125th Street. The first thing I saw was this arresting sign and it caused me to wonder a couple of things. One, what the hell is it advertising? Two, are there people back behind there?

-------------------

5/5/09 - No, no, Convent Avenue starts on 127th, although it should start on 125th.

See map.

1 comment:

flyinglady said...

I went to the boostmobile website. There was nothing resembling the "un-screwed" logo that's up on the wall. What is that thing about?

I sure hope nobody's living behind that giant advertisement. The landlord probably got a lot of money for letting them put it there. I'd stop paying my rent if somebody did that to me.