Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Flatiron District, 23rd Street at Fifth Avenue

Mary Sargent © 2009 ………. click to enlarge

X

Alert readers will have noticed we're in a new neighborhood, newly named anyway. I think we've been here before, but I was not alert and therefore I have a new relabeling task on my list.

This is the Flatiron District and that is the beloved Flatiron Building, the triangular building made to fit the space created by Broadway crossing Fifth Avenue on a diagonal. Blessed Broadway! Of course, this shot does not demonstrate its triangularity, so please go here to see many good shots, including nice historical photos and even what was on the site before it was built. I always want to see that.

I was surprised to learn that this wasn't called the Flatiron District until about 1985 when restaurants started opening in the area and it became a more happening place. Naturally realtors wanted a nice name for this new neighborhood. The boundaries are 14th Street to 28th and 6th to Park Avenue.

No comments: