Thursday, January 08, 2009

Chelsea, 23rd Street Between Eighth and Seventh Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2009 ……… click to enlarge

Here's my destination: Chelsea Clearview Cinemas. Again, I refer you to CinemaTreasures.org for a short history of this building. I was thrilled to discover that this was the site of the Squat Theater in the early 80's where I saw Pandora's Box (1929) with Louise Brooks. I had forgotten where the theater was. I remember reading about it in The Voice and rushing down to see it, as I was way into movies then, and being surprised to find the space a bit makeshift. It was the golden age of movies here in New York.



Mary Sargent © 2009 ……… click to enlarge
x
And here's the last photo of this walk, this irresistible building across the street from the theater. No history, just visuals.

Now for the truly interested, the first segment of Pandora's Box. The rest of them are on YouTube.




No comments: