Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hudson Square, King Street Between Varick Street and Sixth Avenue


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

When I came home after this walk and did a little research, I discovered that King Street is part of a little historic district, the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District. These three streets are only 3 blocks long and run between Greenwich Street and Sixth Avenue. A neat little 3x3 area.

Then I realized that I hadn’t done King Street justice and that I must plan a walk specifically to cover this area.

In the meantime, I give you this photo which I’m guessing depicts numbers 15 and 17. In the 1966 report from the Landmarks Preservation Commission, numbers 15 and 17 are described as the buildings on King Street that "most clearly retain their original Federal flavor. Although their doors and lintels have been altered, they retain their original pitched roofs, dormers and cornices. The doorways are in their original state, as are their shallow stoops."

Just a guess. I'll check further when I return.

See map.

No comments: