Monday, November 24, 2008

Washington Heights, Amsterdam Avenue Between 181st and 182nd Street; 182nd Street Between Amsterdam and Audubon Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

After going as far east as I could go on 181st Street, I turned back, and here at Amsterdam Avenue, I spied my destination: the Eleanor Roosevelt Junior High School. I mean, a corner of my destination; it's there on the right side of the photo.



Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge


Here it is. One block long. This one's for you, Gladys.




Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

This friendly student told me that, yes, this is the main entrance. It is a modest entrance for a block long building. She then said I should go in and turn left and walk down the hall to a room where they would answer all my questions. Okay. But once inside, it seemed more sensible to talk to the guard instead. I asked him my one question - did he know when the building was built. He said, I think the 60s. Or maybe the 30s. Hmm. When I went back out the friendly student showed me where the date was carved into the building: 1965.




Mary Sargent © 2008 ………. click to enlarge


See map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! The trees look like exotic birds coming in for a landing in some otherworldly light.

Beat Blackjack said...

What charming answer