Monday, October 13, 2008

Hamilton Heights, Broadway at 155th Street


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

We're looking at Harlem from across the dividing line of 155th Street, and this is the Church of the Intercession.

I've just been on an internet wild goose chase due to my mistaken belief that the name of this Church was Trinity Church – probably because the Cemetery across the street is named Trinity Church Cemetery and Mausoleum. There are many Trinity Churches in Manhattan but none of them is located at 155th and Broadway. I was frustrated. I was ready to take the subway back up there and bang on the door demanding to know what was going on. Then I happened to read in the Los Angeles Times (yes!) in an article entitled "City Living: West Harlem" that the "noteworthy" Church of the Intercession is located at 155th and Broadway. Well! That explains it.




Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

And this is what's on the west side of Broadway. It seems that the famous Trinity Church downtown ran out of burial space and created – but let me save this for tomorrow night. I was going to do both tonight but I've exhausted myself with all this brain work. Don't worry, I have more cemetery photos.

See map.

No comments: