Sunday, July 06, 2008

Upper West Side, Riverside Drive at 89th Street

Okay, everybody, vacation over. It was lovely, weather perfect, and oddly, I did not gain any weight. We're resuming the June 25 walk.



Mary Sargent © 2008 …………click to enlarge


Wow. Before I took this walk, if you had asked me if I'd ever seen the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, I would've said, yeah, I think so. But, no, I certainly had not. I recommend you go to the nyc-architecture site for some great old photographs and all the information you'd ever want. But at least go for the pictures. By the way, this is for soldiers and sailors of the Civil War, union side only.

See map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No weight gain?! And thanks for the photo. Despite 60 years in New York City, I, too, have never seen this monument. On my way to Zabar's I'll check this out.

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen it on the way to the Boat Basin Cafe. I guess it's the kind of monument you only see "on the way to..."

(I hope the Boat Basin Cafe is still there?)