Monday, May 12, 2008

Times Square, 50th Street Between Ninth and Eighth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

In a city where restaurants turn over so fast that often you don't even bother to remember their names, as in, where did you eat? Oh, you know, that restaurant on the corner of Broadway and whatever. As I was saying, in such a city, I'm always surprised when every ten years or so I see that Seeda Thai still stands. In 1982 when I was a temp at Equitable Life Insurance around the corner on Broadway, my friend June came to town and we had lunch at Seeda Thai. In 1982 Thai food in New York was basically sweet food; think pineapple and marachino cherries. I don't think we had yet heard of pad thai. Be that as it may, I have no recollection of what I ate that day.

So here it still is. I walked on by and over to Thalia where I had my first gin and tonic of the warm weather season. Can't find a link to Thalia that shows its beautiful bar. By the way, they have hooks under the bar that you can hang your bag on. So smart.

See map.

No comments: