Monday, May 05, 2008

Downtown, King Street Between Hudson and Varick Streets

Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Concerning this neighborhood that has no name: a visitor was kind enough to send me this link to Time Out New York which calls it (without explanation or apology) Hudson Square, one of the four best places to move to now.

Hudson Square? They define it as "this former no-man's-land bounded by Varick, Canal and West Houston Streets." Try as I may, I can't bring myself to use that term. Surrounded by the Village, Soho and Tribeca. Hudson Square?

I also found a designation in the AIA Guide to New York City. They call it the South Village.

Please register your opinion in a comment. Should I call it (nothing) or Hudson Square or South Village? Or something else. All opinions will be carefully considered. My default position in case of a tie or no opinion at all is (nothing).

See map.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing in mind about naming this place. Just wanted to comment: I like this dusty street. Real New York of old.

Anonymous said...

West Soho?

The 75 Varick Street building has a big sign on it - Hudson Square.