Saturday, April 26, 2008

Downtown, Hudson Street Between Houston and King Streets

No new postings until Saturday, May 3.
Vacation time here at Manhattan Street Project.
  • Mark your calendars.
  • Use the time well.
  • Browse in the archives.
  • Study your streets.
  • See you in a week.



Mary Sargent © 2008 …………………………………… . click to enlarge

We're back in that neighborhood that has no name. This is the front of the Passport Services building where people go to get their passports (new or renewed) as a last resort. That is, they are leaving in two weeks time or less and it has suddenly occurred to them that their passport is out of date. There is no time to do it the normal way, by mail.

I had an 11:30 a.m. appointment there last Monday. As Nixon used to say, I could have done it the easy way . . .

So I'm here to tell you that this works. Sure, it's inconvenient and it takes the better part of a day and it's more expensive, but it does work. It might be that everyone feels like such an idiot being there that they're excessively grateful to the folks getting their passports for them, and that gratitude makes the workers feel good and benevolent, so they keep doing a good job. Whatever it is, I got my passport and I'm goin away.

So guess where I'm going? VENICE! My birthday present to myself. Life is good.

See map.

No comments: