Sunday, October 28, 2007

Upper West Side, 107th Street Between Riverside Drive and West End Avenue

What a city! I'm going to start at the end of this walk because I want to tell it now.

Sometimes there are walks that I decide to take, not because I think I'm going to get good or interesting photographs, but because it must be done. Every block must be walked whether or not it is interesting or beautiful. Today I took one of those walks. West End Avenue. Dull, dull, dull. One big apartment building after another, nothing commercial and no street life. The only reason it's not the dullest block in Manhattan (that honor falls to Fort Washington Avenue) is because the buildings are better looking than those on Ft. Washington and they have better details.

At least it was a beautiful day. Gorgeous. After the rain of the last few days and the unreasonably warm days before that, this was a real Fall day: sunny and breezy and brisk.

So I strolled along, starting at 96th Street, walking uptown to 106th, then turning and walking up Riverside, but giving that up after one block because the wind was so strong there, I was getting an earache. Turned back on 107th Street to go back to Broadway, and saw this pretty little building with a plaque on the side of the door.



Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge


This, my friends, is the Nicholas Roerich Museum. And this post is too long as it is, so I will continue tomorrow.


See map.

No comments: