Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Upper West Side, Broadway between 110th and 111th Streets

My plan for Sunday was to get up early and go all the way downtown to the Financial District, a new district for this blog, about time, and get back home before the rains came at noon. However, I had killer insomnia Saturday night, got up late, left the house about 2, in the hottest part of the day, the rain rescheduled for 4 o'clock, and went only to 110th Street, ho hum.

BUT. When I got off the subway and looked across the street, I was overcome with joy. Westside Supermarket is back!! After 3 long years of only D'Agostino which closes at midnight or 11:00 and has inferior groceries, the much missed open 24 hours-a-day Westside has reopened. It looks disappointingly slick in its brand new high rise apartment building, but who's complaining?

I know this photograph means nothing to you, most of you, and I know it's not even a good photograph or an interesting photograph, but I have to post it. Whenever I'm filled with bitterness as yet another corner store closes, to be replaced by a bank branch, I'll return here and know that dreams can still come true.


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

See map.

No comments: