Sunday, April 08, 2007

Gramercy, Gramercy Park West between 21st and 20th Streets


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

These homes were built in the 1840's, and James Harper, former mayor of New York and founder of Harper Brothers lived here at No. 4 from 1847 until his death in 1869. Shortly before I took this photo a young mother with two young children went through the front door. Imagine living in a townhouse built in the 1840's in the middle of Manhattan. Here's a long shot. And here's a detail.

See map.

1 comment:

Ginger Legato said...

Hi Mary,
Last week I tried to leave a comment but I don't think it went through...I had wanted to tell you how much I liked the East Harlem pictures...there were two I especially enjoyed...now I can't recall which they were....
Of these entries here I love the news boxes and the Chrysler Building.
Thanks
Ginger Legato