Saturday, February 10, 2007

Inwood, Park Terrace East between 215th Street and Isham Park


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

As I said last night, I HAD to get out today with my camera. Had to. Didn't want to, but had to. The temperature was in the low 30's, not that bad, but it was windy, and that makes all the difference. So, once again, the monthly catfood pickup provided me with a destination. But first, just in case my fingers froze later, I took some shots close to home.

Park Terrace East is three blocks long, ending at Inwood Park, and this boarded up building has been there since I moved here in 1995. Do I know what it is (or was) or what happened to it? No. You would think . . . ....I'll find out.

Click here for a view of the whole building.

See map.


6 comments:

Carla said...

My understanding is that the building is owned by the Seventh Day Adventist School that is next door. Apparently, the school could not afford to operate the builing, so they boarded it up.

I like your blog idea and will keep coming back, especially since I just moved into the neighborhood (I live across the street from the school) on Friday!

Thanks for the treat.

Mary Sargent said...

Thanks, Carla, and welcome to Inwood.

Mary Sargent said...

Someone else sent me an email saying he grew up across the street from this building; that it was a convent for the nuns who worked at Sacred Heart High School before they sold it to the Seventh Day Adventists; and that it has been in this state since the early 1970's. Thank you very much for the email.

Anonymous said...

Great pics. I live in Inwood and had wondered what that abandoned building was originally constructed for. I did a little research a few months ago and found out that it was a mansion built in 1912 for William Hurst and his family; he was the president of a Telegraph company at the time.

After his death in the late 1920's, the building was sold and became a convent until the Adventist School purchased the site in the mid 70s. The building suffered a fire in 1988 and has been in disuse ever since.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject!

Anonymous said...

Tom-- I saw your comment for the first time today, March 14, and in the faint hope that you will ever see this, wanted to thank you.

It's wonderful to get these responses1

Anonymous said...

I used to jump rope on this street while my grandma sat on the steps of that building. She told me it was a convent for nuns.