Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Chelsea, 26th Street Between Eleventh and Twelfth Avenues


Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

Now we're on the most westerly block of 26th Street. I just did what I should have done before I started the gallery photos, which is to go online to get a map of Chelsea galleries. If you take a look at it (be sure to enlarge it or you won't be able to see a thing), you'll see that most of the galleries are massed between 10th and 11th Avenues. But this block, between 11th and 12th, boasts Roebling Hall on the south side and a whole building of galleries on the north side. I didn't get a good shot of Roebling Hall, but you can see its windows just past the van here.

So what about this photo? Well, this is one of my favorite kinds of photograph; in part because its strength depends on its abstract elements rather than on its intrinsic interest. This is a van backed up to a loading dock. Who cares about seeing that?

I like it.

See map.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of incipient drama and some tension in this one: Will that truck continue to back up? Is it about to depart? Who, or what, is driving it? Fee on abstract elements.