Friday, January 12, 2007

Washington Heights, Overlook Terrace at 187th Street



Mary Sargent © 2007 …………………………………….. click to enlarge

When I photographed this, I remember thinking about its abstract qualities (see photo below) and the battered structure itself. I do not remember thinking: what the heck is this? It sits at the bottom of the fearsome stairs at 187th Street. It has its own address: 218 (which, by the way, is not acknowledged in Mapquest). But what is it? I have to wonder at myself photographing this thing and only thinking about its appearance. Note to self: engage brain.

In other unpleasant news, Blogger is letting us down. Photos posted last night disappeared this morning. After I post this (hoping they don't disappear), I'm going to reload last night's photos a different way and see if that works. As soon as I get a spare minute, I will look into a different web host.

See map.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one enlarged and took over my whole screen! A very powerful corner next to that mysterious door.