Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Inwood, Dyckman Street Subway Stop; A Train


Mary Sargent © 2006 ………………………… click to enlarge

Last Saturday, I didn't have much time, so I decided to just do a short trip and pick up a couple of little streets one subway stop down. Staff Street and Henshaw Street. Ever hear of them?

Let me digress a moment and tell you about my dinner last night with Barbara Lubbies (at the Hi-Life, no less, but too cold to eat outside), who suggested adding links to maps of the streets being walked. So I got all excited, being encouraged in my map obsession, and herewith is the first. Find Staff and Henshaw Streets. Try the aerial view, too. I tell you, though I find much to deplore on a daily, if not hourly, basis, I have to marvel at the abundance of good stuff to be had these days.

But first a subway shot. I adore the subways, don't get me wrong, but I've long had this image of coming up out of the subways into daylight, as if coming out of hell into the blesssed light of redemption. And I've thought of doing a photographic series of those images. Just another of the many random thoughts I have. Here's one of them, anyway. That's real sunlight coming down those stairs.

By the way, for all you restaurant/saloon fans, the Hi-Life, though promising retro authenticity, brought me a whiskey sour in a martini glass. Naturally, I deplored it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great image, Mary-o.
Notin' to deplore here!

Anonymous said...

Yes, do a series! This one feels quite supernatural - like an extraterrestrial has just risen.

See my subway shot by clicking my name!

I like the map link - but maybe you should open it in a new window "target="_blank"

I vote for another trip to the Hi Life - maybe in outdoor weather.