Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Inwood, 216th Street


Mary Sargent © 2006

The change of format signals the intent to add more writing. (Oh, no!) The group of photographs that I've been posting since Sunday were all taken on a couple of short blocks on the tip of Manhattan. Get out your street maps and take a look at 215th and 216th Streets as they end at the Harlem River. This is a desolate couple of blocks, storage for Sanitation trucks and MTA buses. The IND subway yard is to the south. No one would walk here unless they had a pretty damn good reason. My reason is that I'm involved in a compulsion, I mean goal, of walking every street in Manhattan. A pretty damn good reason. I was there in the late afternoon, no one else around, until I got to the end of 215th Street, where there was a group of kids playing. Quite the surprise. See Monday's posting. I got a number of other beautiful photographs, I believe, in that seemingly barren area, and I want to show you a few more before I move on. My sense of beauty may not be yours, however. Does anyone else think this photograph is beautiful? But you must click to enlarge before you make your judgment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel a sense of dynamic movement within the abstract composition that draws my eye back and forth in an engaging way.

Anonymous said...

yes yes I think it's beautiful too. Also, as it was coming into focus, piece by piece, suddenly the lights went on,which was such a weird thing to happen in a still shot!!

Luka

Unknown said...

It is very nicely composed. The puddle by the fire hydrant is strangely attractive.

Anonymous said...

I like the way the curves in that building do something to the rectangle shape of the picture - warp, distort, expand or stretch it. You're right - this is much more apparent when the picture is enlarged.

David